Design Principles and Patterns Workshop
Duration: 4 Days
The Design Patterns Workshop offers a comprehensive introduction to design patterns, with a focus on patterns that have proven over the last decade to be most effective at addressing real-world software design problems.
The workshop helps people understand good object-oriented design through the medium of highly useful design patterns. Students are introduced to essential patterns via an amalgam of interactive discussions and hands-on exercises and quizzes.
The patterns taught in this course are drawn primarily, but not exclusively, from the classic catalog by Gamma, et al.: Design Patterns: The Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software Design. Students will gain a solid understanding of essential patterns as well as how to incorporate them into new or legacy code using modern refactoring and testing tools.
- Understand essential design patterns, and how to use them
- Obtain a strong, fundamental understanding of Smalltalk style Object Orientated Development
- Understand basic OO design principles and see how they apply to real world problems
- Learn to recognise code smells and understand how they violate the design principles
- Obtain an excellent understanding of 10+ design principles and 30+ design patterns
- Experience hands-on, refactoring to and away from patterns during the lab sessions
- Gain a working vocabulary of design patterns
- Understand how to evolve patterns into a design, rather than designing with them up-front
|Day 2||Readability, Construction
and Structural Pattern
|Day 3||Behavioral and Structural
|Day 4||Behavioral and More
- 1 or 2 Days of Mentoring via Pair Programming with Developers on your code base
- To get your team kick-started with the learning from the workshop, we recommend, that our trainer spends a day or two, working with your team on your code base.
- Each day will be reserved for 4 pair programming sessions. During these sessions, the workshop participants will take specific examples from their projects, where they are finding it difficult to apply any of the practices learned in the workshop. The trainer will then pair with an individual to show how to resolve those challenges.
- At the end of the day, the 4 volunteers will summarize their learning by showing before and after code from their respective pairing session to the rest of the group.
- Pre-Post Programming Assessment
- The goal of these programming assessments is to identify real and quantifiable measures for the learning achieved through our workshop.
- Get a quick understanding of your knowledge and skill level with respect to Designing & Programming
- Establish a baseline against which the effectiveness of the workshop may be measured
- Customize our workshop based on specific areas identified in this assessment
- Pre-Assessment: Before the workshop, we’ll send a problem description, your developers will spend max 4 hours and solve the problem and send us the code. We’ll evaluate the code and send you detailed feedback about the code, including areas for improvement. We can send different types of problems (fresh development, cleaning up existing code and so on.)
- Post-Assessment: 2 week after the workshop, we send another problem and evaluate the solution code. A comparison between the Pre and Post Assessment should be able to clearly quantify per-participant level improvement.
- Click on the image to download the sample report…
Method of Instruction
- Interactive Dialogues, Programming Exercises, Demos, and Instructional Games
- Knowledge: 60%, Skill-Building: 40%
- Primary: Object-Oriented Programmers, Architects, and Designers
- Secondary: Technical Managers, Technical Writers, User Experience Designers
- Required: solid hands-on understanding of OO concepts and an OO language
- Highly Recommended: overall understanding of the life-cycle of software projects
- Latest Java JDK
- Latest Standard Eclipse OR IntelliJ Idea
- JUnit, Mockito, JBehave, FitNesse or Cucumber JVM
- Latest .Net Framework
- Latest Visual Studio
- Latest ReSharper Plugin
- SpecFlow‘s Visual Studio IDE Integration or FitNesse
- Latest Chrome Browser
- Latest Jasmine Framework
- Latest JsTestDriver
- Latest Eclipse CDT OR Visual Studio
- Latest GTest
- Latest Flex SDK
- Latest Flash Builder OR IntelliJ Idea
+ Mastering Agile Scrum
+ Certified Scrum Master
+ Certified Scrum Product Owner
+ PMI Agile Certified Professional (PMI – ACP)
+ Agile User Stories, Estimation & Planning
+ Software Excellence using XP
+ SAFe – Scaled Agile Framework
+ Practical Approach to Agility through Kanban
+ Test Driven Development (TDD) and Refactoring Workshop
+ Design Principles and Patterns Workshop
+ Product Discovery Workshop